I have gone through various types of emotions. I questioned myself as a parent and as a person. I have felt things I was ashamed to admit to myself or anyone but it took a lot to get me to accept that it was okay to be human. I no longer allow other's judgement to get the best of me. No one knows what my family and I have gone through. Before I met Jose, we went through some really hard times and there were things that occurred that I wish hadn't but they did. We learned from them and have moved on. I'm not quite sure if Daniel has moved on but that we will deal with when he is ready to do so. Jose has been great and although it was very difficult to allow someone else to step in to help me with Daniel. I have to admit that he has done great things to help Daniel. It doesn't hurt to allow other's to help when you need it.
Anyway here is my top 10 things to remember...
10. Follow your heart and gut when you are going through an episode with your child.
Don't hesitate to get help. If you feel like the situation is out of your control.
09. Remain calm and remember you are who they need.
08. When you look at them, remember they are not their illness;
they are your child.
07. Life is full of good times.
Remind them of the good times when they are having a hard time.
Distract them with happy memories and let them know that you love them.
You'll be surprised to see how that will put a smile on their face.
06. Be strong and stand your ground.
05. Write your thoughts down and express how you feel.
It's okay to feel a certain way about your situation. You are only human and it is overwhelming and sometimes you want to give in and give up. It's not good to bottle it up. Reach out and speak to someone that knows and understands your situation.
04. Tell your story. Don't be afraid, don't be ashamed.
Teach your child that there is nothing to be ashamed of.
You both would feel better.
03. Be your child's advocate.
Be their voice!!
02. Remind yourself that you are a good parent and that you are doing everything to help your child. Don't get caught up on the things your child says when they are sick.
You are a good mom, dad, caregiver, friend, spouse.
Love yourself and take care of yourself.
01. You're not alone. Don't give up.
When you feel like you are at your wits end; stop, take a break, take a deep breath, and look into your child's eyes and remember who they truly are and why you love them.
Please feel free to share with others.